If you want to know what are exogenous ketones and whether or not they work then read this article.
Your Body’s Magical State
Want to know a way to staying focused for long periods of time, to shedding off body fat easily, keeping your mind sharp and not having to eat for 24+ hours?
Well, it’s ketosis – your body’s metabolic state of turning stored adipose tissue into energy.
Ketosis can happen with either fasting or through nutrition.
- Endogenous ketones are what your liver starts producing from fatty acid molecules after your glycogen stores have been depleted. Hence the term endogenous or from within.
- Exogenous ketones are ketone bodies you consume from an external source. Usually in the form of beta-hydroxybutyrate salts. BHB is one of the ketone bodies and it’s mainly used as a fuel source for the brain.
Ketone supplements have become quite popular over the last few years as they claim to instantly put you into ketosis and make you burn more fat. Quick disclaimer: exogenous ketones aren’t the same as raspberry ketones, which are just some random pills.
What Are Exogenous Ketones
I’ve tried a few brands of the real exogenous ketones in the past and I must say that they work to some degree. However, the effect of these supplements mostly depends on your level of keto-adaptation.
- If you’re not in ketosis but want to start the diet, then you can use exogenous ketones to prompt the amount of ketones in your blood but in order to successfully utilize them, you’d still have to stick low carb for a certain period of time.
- If you’re already eating a ketogenic diet and you’re in ketosis most of the time then you wouldn’t feel much difference but you’ll still be able to gain more energy.
Most of these supplements use BHB salts as their source of ketones because it can be quickly converted into energy by the mitochondria. They’re mixed with sodium and potassium or calcium for improved absorption. There are several ketone salt brands out there.
Ketone esters are synthetically made compounds that combine an alcohol to a ketone body which then gets converted into more ketones by the liver. Ketone esters are said to be significantly more effective than ketone salts and they raise your blood ketones a lot more. They’re not that commercially available and they’re also said to taste like jet fuel. There are many other types of ketone bodies.
Do Exogenous Ketones Actually Work?
There’s not a ton of research on the effectiveness of these supplements on humans but one of the leading researchers in this Dominic D’Agostino has found some interesting things about this in rats.
- Exogenous ketone supplementation caused a rapid and sustained elevation of βHB, reduction of glucose, and little change in lipid biomarkers[i]
- Ketone supplementation decreases tumor cell viability and prolongs survival of mice with metastatic cancer[ii]. They are also an effective anti-carcinogen
- Exogenous ketones are well-tolerated by the body and they don’t cause gastrointestinal stress as is common with MCT oil for instance.
- Ketones have neuroprotective effects as well and they’ve been used as treatment in Alzheimer’s[iii]
- BHB has anti-inflammatory effects as it blocks the inflammasome NLRP3[iv]
- Ketone esters also improve oxygen utilization, especially in the central nervous system[v]. Dominic D’Agostino has seen that SEAL divers who follow the ketogenic diet can stay underwater for longer and they don’t get nearly as many seizures or freezes in oxygen-deprived conditions.
So there are many applications to the ketogenic diet and ketone supplements.
Do You Need to Be Taking Exogenous Ketones?
No, I’d imagine there’s no difference between being in 3.0 mMols ketosis induced through fasting or by taking ketone salts.
However, these BHB salts can be used to drive yourself into ketosis for a particular purpose. Whether that be to give your brain some energy, to prepare for a workout or to assist your body to get into ketosis faster during the adaptation period.
As I said earlier, these ketone supplements are only starting to become more popular and at the moment they’re still quite expensive. For instance, a single dose of ketone esters that are said to put you into a deep therapeutic ketosis within a half an hour costs like a few hundred dollars. But if I were to be really honest with you, then I think they’re going to be the go-to supplements of the future that will drastically increase your physical and mental performance.
At the moment, you can still try out the cheaper ketone salts. There are quite a few brands on the market.
Perfect Keto Coupon Code for 20% OFF
The one I’m currently using is Perfect Keto.
- What I love about their base BHB salts is that there are no fillers or additives. It has zero carbs, zero gums, zero sugars or other crap.
- You can mix it with water, almond milk, coffee, shakes, or any other drink. I tend to use it as a pre-workout.
- They have many flavors – vanilla, peaches and cream, coffee and chocolate sea salt. Chocolate sea salt is just delicious – you get the sweet and bitter aspect of cacao and the slight saltiness brings all of it together.
I talked with the developers of Perfect Keto and I made a deal with them… Usually, the discount codes for their products are 10% off but for you guys…
I’ve managed to get a 20% discount code if you use the code SIIMLAND on the checkout page.
I’m not going to force you into anything I don’t use myself and I think that the Perfect Keto team has a variety of different ketosis friendly products like a pre-workout, MCT powder, collagen protein powder, micro greens powder and much more, so they can be used as very effective supplements.
So check them out and see how your body reacts!