Why do some people achieve more than others? How come they’re on point with their lives and routines? What is the secret to getting things done? Read this article to find out what it is. (more…)
Author: Siim Land
OMAD or GO MAD?!? This article talks about should you do the one meal a day diet. It is a must read before you try OMAD. (more…)
Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired? Read this article to know what to eat for more energy. P.S. Eat these foods that boost energy and make you feel energized. (more…)
In the midst of slumber and sleep deprived eyes, we often fail to realize how important the first moments of the day really are. They have huge consequences on the rest of the day. This article reveals some insight into why this is so. (more…)
There are many dangers of keto that may potentially damage your health. Don’t do the ketogenic diet until you read this.
Why People Are Fat
Are you interested in the ketogenic diet? That’s awesome. There’s a lot of research showing that a well-formulated ketogenic diet is very healthy and has other advantages.
- The problem is that there’s a huge difference between the ketogenic diet and a low carb one.
- And there’s a difference between being in ketosis and being keto-adapted
- And, of course, if done wrong, eating low carb high fat may actually be harmful to you.
Nutrition is the most important variable for overall health and longevity. You don’t want to just randomly wing it and hope for the best.
That’s why going on many random fad diets won’t work either.
- You don’t want to fix the symptoms – you being overweight, inflamed, tired or sick
- You want to get to the root cause of your suffering – ignorance and the inability to see or practice the truth of things
This is the biggest reason why there’s an obesity epidemic – people are ignorant of how food influences their physiology and what further effects it has on their life. Instead of asking “WHY AM I FAT -WHYYYYY?” you should focus on “What do I need to know and do in order to become fit and healthy?”
Why You Need to Learn About Keto
And the same applies to the ketogenic diet – before trying it out you need to educate yourself about it thoroughly. The reason is that keto isn’t your regular fad diet – it’s actually one of the most scientific and attention-to-detail-demanding ways of eating out there.
When trying to do a ketogenic diet successfully, you need to get into ketosis and become keto-adapted. Both are quite similar but there’s a slight difference.
- Being in ketosis – your serum blood ketone levels are above 0,5 mMol-s and the liver is shooting out more ketones into the blood stream. This can happen already as soon as your glycogen stores have been depleted.
- Being keto-adapted – your brain has adapted to burning ketones and has shifted into using them as the body’s primary source of energy. This takes several weeks and months.
Having elevated levels of ketone bodies in your blood doesn’t mean you’re using them for ATP production – your liver is just converting fat into ketones and sending them into the blood stream.
Don’t Do the Ketogenic Diet Until You Read This
There are several dangers to this.
- The body prioritizes burning glucose over fatty acids or ketones
- High amounts of glucose and ketones in the blood at the same time can lead to ketoacidosis, which is a life-threatening condition where your blood becomes more acidic.
Ketoacidosis occurs because the body doesn’t know what to do with ketone bodies. Under normal conditions, it would simply burn them off as energy. However…
- Carbohydrate metabolism causes glycation, which promotes mild oxidative stress and the creation of advanced glycolytic end-products (AGEs). That’s why you don’t want to have high blood sugar levels for too long.
- Fatty acids have twice the caloric content of carbohydrates and thus they get burned over a longer period of time.
- When you eat both carbs and fat together, they attach to each other, which makes the sugar circulate the blood stream for a lot longer.
- Blood sugar still rises and the pancreas will release insulin to try and bring it back down to normal.
- Insulin can’t do its job and unlock the cell receptors for glucose to be deposited as glycogen because there’s fat around as well.
- The pancreas will panic and keeps pumping out more insulin but all in vain.
- Blood sugar stays elevated for longer periods of time than normal, leading to glycation and potential ketoacidosis.
- Over the course of many meals and years, you’ll develop insulin resistance and diabetes.
The Deadly Sin of Keto
That’s the biggest reason why there are so many obese people who are also diabetic – they combine high-fat foods with high amounts of carbohydrates. It’s your average McDonald’s Happy Meal – salt, sugar, and fat.
And don’t think that it applies to just fast food – your body doesn’t know what you eat. It understands only the macros and micros – the quality of the nutrients and the ingredients.
Based on that, here are some foods you shouldn’t combine.
- Fatty meats and burger buns – the deadly combo – grains and fat
- Potatoes and fatty meats – seemingly innocent but still not ideal. Starches and proteins require conflicting digestive enzymes as well
- Fruit with anything – Fruit is fructose that can be metabolized only by the liver, which is why you want to eat it only by itself with no other foods and .
- Grains and fats – rice, wheat, oatmeal, barley, bread, quinoa, buckwheat and other grains should be consumed with lean proteins and with little to no fat
- Whipped cream with sugar – unsweetened cream is fine but if you whip it all up and add it to your desserts then you’re making a deadly mistake. All those crazy coffee drinks with a ton of cream and sugar are also unforgiving.
You should remember this even when you’re not doing the ketogenic diet because you’re more susceptible to glycation and AGEs on an unrestricted diet. Even if you think you eat generally healthy.
An average person’s diet would comprise of maybe 30% protein, 40% carbs, and 30% fat, which as you can see isn’t ideal.
In that case, the ketogenic diet is actually more beneficial because you’re eliminating one potential danger completely – which is sugar.
More Dangers of Keto
But there are other potential dangers to the ketogenic diet.
- Too much protein – Excessive protein can turn even the juiciest of stakes into cake in your blood stream. Gluconeogenesis is the process by which the liver creates glucose.
- Protein is the only macronutrient that cannot be stored inside the body – it needs to be broken down into amino acids or converted into glucose first.
- And there’s only a certain amount of protein your body needs per day. It depends on your lean body mass, how often you train and at what intensity. In general, you don’t need any more than 0.6-1.0 grams/lb of LBM.
- Too much meat – Meat is high in protein but excessive protein also triggers the mTOR pathway – mTOR is the body’s main anabolic mechanism that will make your body build new tissue. Although it’s needed for gaining muscle, it also promotes aging, cancer and tumor growth. You should limit your meat consumption to only one meal a day and not eat it on days when you’re not working out.
- Too much dairy – Dairy is also highly anabolic – it triggers IGF-1, which is another growth hormone. That’s why babies drink milk – so they could grow. However, you don’t want to be anabolic 24/7 because you’ll speed up aging and get cancer. On the ketogenic diet, you want to limit heavy cream, cottage cheese, and milk consumption. Cheese and raw kefir are okay because of the fermentation process but you should still keep it low.
- Too much fat – And yes, you can potentially eat too much fat on the ketogenic diet. Of course, it’s needed for energy but there’s only a certain amount your body needs every day. It’s not that eating high amounts of fat is bad for you, it’s just that you might have some hidden sugars and blindspots in your diet that will cause glycation and elevate your triglycerides.
Before You Try the Ketogenic Diet
I’m making it look more dangerous than it actually is. As you can see, these errors can happen on any diet plan – eating ketogenic isn’t harmful if done correctly. Keto is actually safer than any other diet because you’re giving your body the right fuel under the right circumstances without creating a conflicting situation between fat and sugar.
Keto is actually safer than any other diet because you’re giving your body the right fuel under the right circumstances without creating a conflicting situation between fat and sugar.
The problem is that if you have no idea what you’re doing or if you’re just consuming whatever then you’re putting your health in danger.
That’s the biggest mistake of the Atkins Diet as well – the Atkins Diet eliminates only certain food groups and you eat the same foods as on keto. However, it doesn’t restrict the macronutrient ratios – you can eat as much as you want of the given foods and that’s where people end up eating too much meat or they just overeat.
The macronutrient ratios of a well-formulated ketogenic diet are:
- 5-10% carbohydrates (30-50 grams NET)
- 15-30% protein (0.6-1.0g /lb of LBM)
- 70-80% fat (the rest of the calories)
Of course, you’re not going to get diabetes if you eat 20% carbs or 40% protein. If you become severely keto-adapted then you can even eat up to 100 grams of carbs while still burning ketones for fuel. It’s just that you won’t be in ketosis in that particular moment.
Avoid the Dangers of Keto and
Which brings us to the entire point of the story – if you want to ever try the ketogenic diet, then you need to first educate yourself about it because otherwise, you’ll damage your health.
I’m not a doctor or a physician and I’m not responsible if you end up getting sick. You’re the one who has to take ownership over what you learn, what you eat and what you do.
I have many videos and articles about nutrition in general so you should check them out.
How to avoid sleeping in for good? (more…)
Want to overcome your fears? Become better at social situations? Achieve greater success in life? Then you need to try public speaking. (more…)
This article talks about the difference between fixed vs growth mindset. (more…)
Our time and mental resources are finite. And that’s why you NEED a morning routine. (more…)
Have you heard of the amazing health benefits of apple cider vinegar? By the end of this article, you should know why drink apple cider vinegar daily. (more…)